Thursday, May 15, 2014

Rain


It's midnight and it is raining in southeast Tennessee.  I am sitting in the quiet of our great room, listening.  The sound of the rain on the vaulted ceiling calms me.  I can hear the water draining from the  downspout outside the windows and splashing onto the rock in the landscaping.  It is such a pleasant sound.  The gentle noise stirred my thoughts.

 It's gonna be random, but this is what is on my mind tonight.


  •  I Thank God for a family that loves and supports one another like ours does!
  • Seeing the shadow on the ground of Laik and me walking hand-in-hand delights my soul!
  • Each day it gets easier to share the story of Laik and Trisomy 12p without crying! (The eyes still tend to get moist!)
  • I love Todd Leffew more and more each day as I see him be a Champion Daddy to Laik.  
  • I am grateful for true friendships that can pick up right where we left off.  Even if it has been years since we last spoke.
  • I am turning 40 in August....it gets closer every day.
  • Laik is walking.  More and more and more!
  • Laik loves airplanes, trains, and the Cookie Monster.
  • That baby in the photo has changed the mindset of our entire family.  Laik has No Limits....it is just taking him a little longer to achieve things.
  • It's ok to be the "lone nut."
  • Spending time ALONE is a necessity!
  • I hate kidney disease and what it is doing to a very good friend!
  • I lost a friend/mentor  in a tragic accident and it brings tears to my eyes every time I think about it.
  • I had no idea how much my parents loved me, until I had Laik.
  • I am proud to say that I am the parent of a special needs child.  
  • Without my sisters, I don't know what I would be like...they have molded me in ways that they aren't even aware of!
  • My life is impacted daily with kind words from former students and colleagues. 
  • I love to hear the sound of Laik's voice when he says, "Mama!"
  • Little things give my heart great joy.  
  • An unexpected kiss from Todd still gives me a flutter in my stomach.  
  • An unexpected two arm hug from Laik melts me every time.  
  • When Laik hears a train in the distance and gets excited...I am reminded that even though he FAILS the OAE hearing test, EVERY SINGLE TIME, he can hear!
  • And when he spots a plane in the sky "a mile high" and starts waving and hollering "HEY!" It reassures me that he can SEE!
  • My favorite time of day is when Laik and I snuggle just before he falls asleep at night.
  • Hearing Laik squeal with excitement when he sees Todd's truck pull in the driveway reminds me that he KNOWS who we are!
  • Watching Laik put a smile on the face of anyone makes me a proud mama!

Every single thought is just like a raindrop.  Thoughts can be caught up in a storm, swirled around by the wind, pushed through the gutter and pounded into the dirt.  But with the rain comes a good cleansing, new growth with a fresh start  and a thirst quenched.  We are blessed that God knows exactly when we need the rain to pour down on us!  And for that, I am grateful.

Good night and be well!
Kim




No comments: