Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother's Day

I woke up this morning to the hum of Laik's voice on the baby monitor.  It was a precious sound of sweetness.  I generally just hear it on the weekends due to the fact that I leave home for work before Laik gets up each day.  Yet today it was like that feeling you get when you are at the beach and hear the sound of the ocean: Happiness!  And to top off the moment, my Toddler (aka my husband) said to me, "happy first mother's day"....my heart melted! A quick kiss for him and I was out of bed to get Laik!

I was giddy with happiness!  Truly my first Mother's Day!  I have a baby!  I am a mother!

I enter the nursery and there is my sweet boy.  Humming and smiling!  Again, my heart melts and my eyes fill with tears.  Though this time, the tears are of joy!  This baby, my son, knows not one inkling of what he means to me.  He knows nothing of how my heart fills with warmth each time he smiles.  He doesn't know that each day I pray for his well being.  He doesn't know that when I am away from him, all I can think of is how much longer until I get back to him.  He doesn't know that I would sacrifice anything of my own or myself for him.  The one thing I do believe that he does know is that I am his mommy!

But wait...my baby has T12p. Does he know I am his mommy?  For months I worried that Laik didn't know that I was his mother, but my own mother pointed out several things to me.
1.  Laik turns to my voice.
2.  His eyes light up when he sees me.
3.  He smiles when I speak to him.
4.  He is soothed by my touch.
5.  I can calm him just by holding him close to me.
6.  He nudges me lovingly as if trying to get closer to me when I hold him.

The list could go on, but I'll stop.

But, I did argue back, all babies do that when shown affection. And I did doubt.  But not today!

Today, on this very first Mother's Day...I know that he knows I am his mother and that Todd is his father.
I have this peace in my heart because today, even though it is just another Sunday. A day that many, many years ago, a woman  by the name of Anna Jarvis inspired to celebrate and honor all mothers.  It was a day of celebration for me.  A day to celebrate that I have a son.  Take away the worry of his future, the concerns of all the "what if's" to come.  Today, I wasn't the mother of a child with a chromosomal disorder.  I was just like every other mother....thankful, grateful and blessed that I have a child of my own!

So without more jibberish from me...Happy Mother's Day!

I hope that your wake-up call was as precious as mine!

To my own mother and sisters:  I am able to do what I do because I have had each of you to guide me!

To my mother & sister-in-law:  Todd and I are thankful for both of you being a part of Laik's journey!

To Todd and Laik:  Thank you for making me a Mommy and I love you.... to the moon and back!!!

3 comments:

Christine said...

oh Kim.... you made me tear up as I read this post! You captured that feeling of satisfaction of realizing that God placed that precious boy in your life for a specified reason for him and for you! Laik is so blessed to have you as his mommy!!!! Happy Mother's Day to you!!!!!

Cheryl Masengale said...

Happy Mother's Day!!

Meg said...

You made me cry! I remember my first mother's day. I'm so glad you got to have your first and many more to follow!!