Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Support

Do you have a good support system?  When folks find out that you have a child with an issue, they always want to know who "your people" are?  Do you have a supportive family?  Do you go to church?  Are you going to have help?  You may want to join a group to help you cope.

It always makes me laugh a little on the inside, because for those of you that know my family well....we've got plenty of people....that means bloods and long term honorary members.

My family is a pretty tight knit group.  We spend a lot of time together.  Doing so is a result of my grandparents. Growing up we were always together.  As adults we are still all together.  I'm not talking about special occasions and holidays, I mean at any given time.  It could be a Tuesday afternoon and you might find my entire family...parents, both sisters, brother-in-laws, nephews and probably a few cousins eating together.  For us, this is not a big deal.  It's just what we do.

Since Laik's birth, this has been fabulous for me.  Being a first time parent at age 36, I never knew just how exhausting parenting would be.  I am certain that "having babies" is a young woman's sport for a reason! With that said, having the troops around in full force is wonderful!

Laik is often so stimulated that I worry we overstimulate him sometimes.  The boys enjoy getting in the floor and playing, taking him for a stroll, holding him and most of all, loving him.  I am certain that Laik has progressed because he is constantly in motion with this family.   His eyes light up when the back door opens and another member of the gang arrives.  He watches with intent to figure out just what is going on.

Our son has a such a multitude of love surrounding him, he is guaranteed to thrive!  If I can say one thing about this family of mine, it is this:  regardless of circumstances, situations or conditions, my family has my back.

Todd and I have no worries about being surrounded by supportive people because we don't have to look any farther than the back door to find a helping hand, a listening ear or a shoulder to cry on because someone is always stopping by to see us....well really to see Laik, we just happen to be here!


And that,  is just the support we need!

1 comment:

Cheryl Masengale said...

When Jill had Caleb, she was no longer "Jill, the oldest
daughter". She became "Jill, Caleb's mom". We for sure take a back seat to the grandkids!!!!